Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day Seven (again): Sniffing out the New 'Hood

Tonight I decided to take a few of our favorite properties that we had found on the MLS and look them up on the registered sex offenders web site. I used the one on the Seattle.gov site HERE. The frustrating thing, I discovered, was that I don't know what to make of the information I have gathered. It turns out, for instance, that where we live now has nine registered sex offenders within a one mile radius. Our favorite house we saw today has 19. I don't know what that means, though. As a mother I think even ONE is too many, but what about 19? 19 that we could potentially walk past on a daily basis while out on our walks, on the way to the park, on our way to the library. But does that make this location more dangerous?

If you have any insight in to this, I'd love to hear it.

Oh, and on a side note, I forgot to add that yesterday our realtor told us that the average first time home buyer was 37 years old. I was really surprised, but that means we're ahead of the average! It sure hasn't felt like it, but it's a fun fact, nonetheless!

2 comments:

  1. i have no specific input beyond commenting that it is my understanding that registries of this sort tend to cast a pretty broad and indiscriminate net about who is exactly should be considered a sex offender. is there any way to find out what the offenses were? to me, there is a great deal of difference between a 21 year old have s3x with their 17 year old SO and a creepy middle aged man opening his coat to kids on the playground? and yet this registry dragnet will sweep up both...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you google their names, you will come up with their crimes. In WA, statutory is not a registerable offense, they only have level I & II offenders on the list. And children are more likely by orders of magnitude to be harmed by people they know than by strangers, so don't get to know these guys, teach them to trust their instincts (read Gavin DeBecker), and teach them the difference between good touch & bad touch. Make sure they know it's ALWAYS OKAY to tell you if someone hurts them in ANY WAY.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!